Here is a list of tools I find useful. They're listed here because I've spent hours and hours surfing the web, downloading files and trying out new programs. This is not intended to be a review of packages, because I don't have time to write it up. However, if I think about it, I'll add note about why I added the tool to the list. All this is Linux stuff, unless noted.
- Sourceboost C compiler - free and easy to use
- MBasic - commercial package, but programming in basic is the way to go for ease.
- Qunata - web editor and program editor, nice package manager
- Bluefish - simple editor, but I prefer Quanta
- gEDA - schematic capture package, weird to uses at first, but worth it in the long run
- PCB - creates PCB boards, with auto routing, only scratched the surface
Linux Operating Systems
- Ubuntu - by far the easiest distro
- Gentoo - Used to be the best distro, but my server is now outdated and it takes a week to recompile all the stuff!
- VMWARE - Very, very cool
- Backtrack - best security suite around
- KnoppTV - used to be great until the free program listings stopped
- Photoshop (W) - I find it easier to use than The Gimp
- Adobe Reader - Works great on Linux
- Visio (W) - It's simple and hard to beat. I tried various Linux drawing programs and they all seem 'weird' to use
- Picture Windows (W) - Used it for astronomy image processing
- Xemphem - nice package for Linux, but doesn't do satellites well
- Halo Northen Sky (W) - I really like the way you navigate around the screen
- Orbitron (W)- Nice for satellite predictions, he actually used one of my ideas
- Nova (W)- probably the best
- Satbuster(W) - for visual satellites, but doesn't match the satellite list in Heavens Above (Web)
- DXLAB (w) - get it!
- N1MM (W) - Logging program, replaced our WriteLog implementations
- WinCap Wizard (W) - based on IONCAP, extensive reporting capabilities, I've tried them all and this is the best
- DX Atlas (W)- Nice propagation pictures, but limited functionality
- Ham Radio Deluxe (w) - best remote control package - GREAT for satellite work!!
D4 (W) - time sync program OpenOffice - Linux office suite, very nice. IPSound (w) - streams audio in UDP over the net, use it with HRD.
- Programming the PIC Micrcontroller wtih MBasic - EXCELLENT book, especially for EE's